Saturday, November 17, 2012

Expressions In English



Ini ucapan-ucapan yang digunakan dalam berdialog berbahasa inggris.
Selamat membaca.
Mau copas?
Komen dulu ya? :P



1. Asking for help
Asking for help
Responses

S  Can you help me, please?
S  Would you mind if I ask your help to ….
S  I do apologize, but would you kindly helping me to ….? (do something)
S  Can you give me a hand with this?
S  Could you help me for a second?
S  I wonder if you could help me with this?
S  I could do with some help, please.
S  I can't manage. Can you help?
S  Give me a hand with this, will you?
S  Lend me a hand with this, will you?
S  Could you spare a moment?
S  I need some help, please.

Accepting
Refusing
S  OK.
S  Sure.
S  Certainly.
S  No problem.
S  Alright.
S  Be my guest.
S  With my pleasure.
S  Sure. Glad to help.
S  Sorry. I can’t right now. I’m busy.
S  I’m afraid I haven’t got the time.
S  Not at the moment
S  Sorry, I really want to help you, but ….
2.     Offering help
Offering help
Responses

Ø  Can I help you?
Ø  Let me help you with that.
Ø  Do you need help?
Ø  Can I give a hand?
Ø  Can I get you something to drink?
Ø  May I help you carry those boxes?
Ø  Would you like any help?
Ø  Do you need a hand?
Ø  What can I do to help you?
Ø  May I be assistance?
Ø  You look like you could do with some help.
Ø  Let me give you a hand.
Ø  Here, I’ll do it for you.

Accepting
Declining
Ø  Yes, please.
Ø  That’s very kind of you.
Ø  Yes, thanks.
Ø  Please don’t bother. I can manage.
Ø  No, thanks.
Ø  No, thank you.
Ø  Thanks but I think I can manage my self.
Ø  That’s very kind of you, but …
Ø  Thank you for offering, but ....
Ø  No, it’s not necessary.



3.     Offering something
Offering something
Responses

*    Do you want some tea?
*    Would you like to have some candies?
*    Can I get you some aspirin?
*    Will you have a book?
Accepting
Declining
*    Yes, please.
*    I’d like candy, please.
*    Yes, thanks.
*    Sure.
*    No, thanks.
*    Not at the moment.
*    That’s very kind, but I won’t, thank you.
4.     Denying and Admitting something 
Denying something
Admitting something
L I didn’t do that.
L It wasn’t my fault.
LI swear, it wasn’t me.
L I certainly do nothing.
L Absolutely not me.
L I’m not that kind of person.
L No way!
LI swear, I didn’t it.
J Yes, I did that.
J I’m sorry.
J Sorry, I’ve lost it.
J I know that’s my mistake.
J It is all my faults. I’m sorry.
J Forgive me for ….
J I admit it.
5.     Making an invitation
Making an invitation
Responses

v  Will you join us for lunch?
v  Can you come to ….?
v  Do you want to join us?
v  Shall we ….?
v  Would you like to come to my birthday party?
v  I’d love to invite you to come to ….
v  I’d like to invite you to party next Friday.
v  I was wondering of you’d like to ….
v  Let’s go to the cinema shall we?
v  How about going to the beach on Sunday?
v  Are you free on Saturday? Would you like to ….
Accepting
Declining
v  Yes, I will.
v  Absolutely. Count me in.
v  Thank you so much. I’d love to.
v  Sure, I’d love to.
v  Yes, thank you. What time?
v  Sounds great
v  OK
v  All right
v  I really want to, but ….
v  Sorry, but ….
v  I’m sorry, I can’t.
v  I’m awfully. Sorry, but I have other plans.
v  I wish I could but ….
v  I’d really like to but ….
v  Sorry, I’ve already made plans.

6.      Congratulating someone
Congratulating
Responses
*      Congratulations!
*      I congratulate you.
*      Congratulations on your success.
*      Congrats on your graduation.
*      Thanks.
*      Thank you.

7.     Asking for and Giving opinion
Asking for opinion
Giving opinion
'  What do you think of ….?
'  What’s your opinion about ….?
'  How do you feel about ….?
'  Tell me what you think.
'  Please give me your frank opinion.
'  What are you feeling of ….?
'  I think ….
'  In my opinion, ….
'  From my point of view, ….
'  I think I like them.
'  I believe that the lesson was quite interesting.
'  For my self, ….
'  I must say, ….

8.     Giving Compliment to someone
Giving Compliment
Responses
¯  Excellent!
¯  What a clever boy!
¯  How creative you are!
¯  What a noble person you are!
¯  Thanks.
¯  No, not really.

9.     Making, Accepting, and Rejecting a request







Making a request
Accepting a request
Rejecting a request
%  Could I have some more tea, please?
%  Could I have some more chocolate, please?
%  Could I have another piece of cake, please?
%  Can you get me the newspaper, please?
%  Would you pass me the salt, please?
%  Would you be so kind to give me an ice cream, please?
%  May I have some money, please?
%  Yes, of course.

%  OK. Here you are.

%  Sure.

%  Certainly.

%  Of course. Here you are.

%  I’d like to give you.


%  This is for you.
%  I’m sorry, I’m busy.

%  Sorry, but nothing left.

%  Sorry, but you must not eat too much sugar.
%  I’m reading it right now.

%  I’m really sorry, I’m very busy.
%  I’m sorry. I don’t have an ice cream.

%  Sorry, not this time.

10.            Asking for Agreement, Agreeing and Disagreeing
Asking for Agreement
Agreeing
Disagreeing
Ë It is a fantastic film, isn’t it?
Ë Do you agree with ….?
Ë Don’t you think so?
Ë Don’t you agree?
Ë Yes, it really is.
Ë I think so.
Ë Yes, I agree with you.
Ë That’s a good idea.
Ë I think you are right.
Ë That’s right.
Ë I agree.
Ë That’s true.
Ë I’m with you.
Ë Right.
Ë I can’t agree more.
Ë I’m in complete agreement with you
Ë Yeah/Yup.
Ë You are right.
Ë That just what I think, of course.

Ë I don’t think so.
Ë I don’t agree with you.
Ë I disagree.
Ë That’s not a good idea.
Ë I don’t think that’s right.
Ë I’m sorry. I disagree.
Ë I totally disagree.
Ë That’s not right.
Ë That’s not true.
Ë No way!
Ë Not a chance!
Ë I see what you mean, but ….
Ë That may be true, but ….
Ë No way!
Ë I can’t agree with ….
Ë No, that’s wrong.
Ë Not quite true.
Ë I don’t know for sure.
Ë But, I thought ….
11.            Asking for, Giving and Denying information
Asking for information
Giving information
Denying information
|  Could you tell me where Grand Bali hotel is?
|  Is it far from the airport?
|  What’s the matter with you?
|  Where did you put the book?
|  Do you know where the First National Bank is?
|  Can you tell me how to get to the subway station from the bank?

|  I’d like to know ….?
|  It’s on Jalan Hang Tuah.

|  No. It’s about 25 minutes drive.
|  I’ve got a toothache.
|  I put it on the table.
|  Yes. Just go straight down this road and the First National Bank is on your right.
|  Sure, you have to take the no. 12 bus and get off in Burbank street. The subway station is there.
|  Yes, I know that. It ….
|  That’s not true.

|  I don’t want to talk about it.
|  I don’t know.
|  I can’t remember.
|  How do you know that?


|  Are you sure? As far as I know ….


|  I’m really sorry, but ….

12.             Asking for, Giving and Discarding permission
Asking for permission
Giving permission
Discarding permission
·         Can I talk to you?
·         May I open the window?
·         May I go to the movie?
·         Can I swim in the river?
·         Can I walk on the grass, please?

·         Yes, of course you can.
·         Sure.

·         Yes, you may.
·         Yes, you can.
·         Yes, certainly.
·         I’m sorry, you can’t
·         I’m sorry, you may not.

·         I’m afraid you may not.
·         I’m afraid you can’t.
·         I’m sorry, it’s not allowed.

13.            Responding to a statement
Statement
Responding to a statement
§      Sanur beach is lovely.
§      I can stay in the beach for the whole night.
§      Fredy is such a careless boy.
§      It’s a beautiful night.
§      That’s right.
§      Yeah. It’s so beautiful.
§      That’s true.
§      Yes, it is

14.            Showing attention
Showing attention
ª      Really?
ª      Wow!
ª      Right.
ª      Did you?
ª      Were you?
ª      Is she?
ª      I see.
ª      Is it?
ª      Hmmm ….
ª      Yes.
ª      And.

15.            Making a conversation
Starting a conversation
Extending a conversation
Ending a conversation
ჯ      Nice day, isn’t it?
ჯ      Nice place, isn’t it?
ჯ      Have you been here before?
ჯ      You know what?
ჯ      Let me tell you something important.
ჯ      Have you known that ….?
ჯ      Hi!....
ჯ      Hello!....
ჯ      Excuse me, ….
ჯ      I hope you don’t mind if ….
ჯ      Lovely day, right?
ჯ      Tell me more.
ჯ      Really?
ჯ      And then?
ჯ      I guess so.
ჯ      By the way
ჯ      See you around.
ჯ      Goodbye.
ჯ      It’s been a pleasure talking to you.
ჯ      Take care.
ჯ      I think I’ve got go now.
ჯ      I’m sorry, I’ve got to go now.
ჯ      I’m afraid, I must go now.

16.            Making a phone call
Starting a conversation on the telephone
Extending a conversation on the telephone
Ending a conversation on the telephone
¤       Hello?
¤       Who’s calling, please?
¤       Who’s speaking?
¤       Can I speak to ….?
¤       May I speak to ….?
¤       By the way, ….
¤       Well, ….
¤       Anyway, ….
¤       Ummm, ….
¤       It’s nice talking to you.
¤       It’s time for me to say goodbye.
¤       Bye.

17.            Asking people to do something
Asking people to do something
Responses

◊  Let’s (+V1) ….
◊  What about (+Ving) ….
◊  Shall we (+V1) ….
Agree
Disagree
◊  Okay. ….
◊  Let’s do it ….
◊  That’s a good idea ….
◊  All right ….
◊  I’m sorry, I don’t feel like I want to ….
◊  I’m very sorry, I can’t.

18.            Expressing Certainty and Uncertainty
Expressing Certainty
Expressing Uncertainty
R  I’m sure.
R  No doubt.
R  Definitely.
R  I’m certain.
R  I’m positive.
R  I’m very sure.
R  I’m believe so

R  I doubt it.
R  I’m not sure.
R  I’m not certain.
R  I’m not positive.
R  I can’t say that for sure.

19.            Asking Repetition
Asking Repetition
C  Pardon
C  Pardon me
C  I beg your pardon
C  Please, say that again.
C  I’m sorry I can’t hear you.

20.            Showing Admiration
Showing Admiration
P What a wonderful view!
P That’s very beautiful country!
P How terrific it is!
P It is a real clean beach

21.            Responding to bad news
Responding to really bad news
Responding to less serious bad news
∞     How awful!
∞     How terrible!
∞     I’m really sorry to hear that!
∞     That must be awful!
∞      That must be terrible!
∞     Oh no!
∞     What a pity!
∞     What a shame!
∞     What a nuisance!
∞     Poor of you!

22.            Responding to good news
Responding to good news
∴     Wow!
∴     Amazing
∴     Wonderful
∴     That’s great
∴     I’m glad to hear that
∴     I’m happy with the news
∴     I can feel that you’re happy


23.            Greeting

Greeting
Responses
∮      Hi ….
∮      Hello ….
∮      How are you?
∮      How are things?
∮      How are you doing?
∮      How have you been?
∮      How is everything?
∮      I’m glad/pleased/happy to meet you.
∮      It’s nice/good/great meeting you.
∮      Good morning/day/afternoon/evening.

∮      Hi ….
∮      Hello ….
∮      I’m fine.
∮      Very well.
∮      Okay.
∮      Not bad.
∮      All right.
∮      Me, too.
∮      It’s nice/good/great meeting you, too.
∮      Good morning/day/afternoon/evening.


24.            Introducing

Self Introducing
Introducing others
Asking for and responding about people’s name
Asking for and responding about people’s address

♫    Let me introduce myself.
♫    My name is ….
♫    I am ….
♫    Allow me to introduce myself.
♫    I’d like to introduce myself.

♫    I’d like to introduce ….
♫    Let me introduce ….
♫    I’d like you to meet ….
♫    This is ….
Asking
Responses
Asking
Responses
♫    What is your name, please?
♫    What is your first name?
♫    How do you spell your name?
♫    Can I have your name?
♫    My name is AndreanPratama.
♫    My first name is Andrean.
♫    A-N-D-R-E-A-N


♫    Yes, of course. My name is AndreanPratama
♫    Where do you live?



♫    Where is your house?

♫    Where do you come from?
♫    Where is your address house?


♫    Where is your boarding house?
♫    I live in Jl. JendralSoedirman 69 Surakarta
♫    My house is inSiantan.
♫    I come from Bali


♫    My address house is in Jl. Tugu 11 Bandung.
♫    My boarding house is in Jl. Cendana Jakarta.

25.            Expressing Leave Taking



Leave taking
Responses
�      I think I should be going/getting on my way now.
�      I’ve really got to go/run now.
�      I’d really better go now.
�      I have to get going now.
�      Good bye.
�      See you…
�      Take care.
�      Farewell.

�      I should get going, too.

�      I’ll call you.
�      I’ll see you.
�      Let’s get together soon.
�      Good bye.
�      See you…
�      Take care.
�      Farewell.

26.            Giving Command, Prohibition and Warning
Giving Command
Giving Prohibition
Giving Warning
E  Sit down!
E  Stand up!
E  Be quiet!
E  Open the book!
E  Read the book!
E  Turn on the radio!
E  Do your homework!
E  Open the door!
E  Close the window!
E  Don’t litter!
E  No smoking!
E  You mustn’t be late!
E  Don’t cheat!
E  Don’t go!
E  Don’t open the door!
E  Don’t stay here!
E  Never come back here anymore.
E  Be careful.
E  Wet floor.
E  Look out.
E  Go out.
E  Keep your eyes open.

27.            Expressing Gratitude






Expressing Gratitude
Responses
I I’m very grateful for ….
I I’m so grateful for ….
I Thank you very much for ….
I Thank you for ….
I That was nice of you. Thank you.
I That was nice of you.
I Thanks a lot for ….
I Thanks.
I Thanks a million.
I I keep forgetting to thank you for ….
I I want to express my gratitude to ….
I I want to thank ….
I You’re welcome
I You’re entirely welcome
I You’re welcome
I Don’t mention it
I It was my pleasure
I You’re welcome/ Don’t mention it
I You’re welcome
I Don’t worry about it
I Forget it
I I’m glad I could help
I That’s alright
I It was nothing at all

28.            Expressing Apology
Expressing Apology
Accepting Apology
☃  Sorry.
☃  I’m very sorry.
☃  Please excuse me for ….
☃  Please forgive me.
☃  Forgive me for …. (Verb-ing).
☃  I feel terrible/bad.
☃  I don’t mean to make things difficult for you.
☃  I’d like to apologize for …. (Verb-ing).
☃  I apologize for ….
☃  Please accept my apology for ….
☃  Forgive me, I’m terribly sorry about ….
☃  I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.
☃  Oh no! Did I do that?
☃  Oh! I’m sorry.
☃  It’s alright.
☃  Please don’t be sorry.
☃  Don’t worry about it.
☃  These things will happen.
☃  No problem.
☃  Not to worry.
☃  Never mind.
☃  It doesn’t matter.
☃  That’s OK.
☃  Please don’t be sorry.
☃  That’s quite all right.
☃  I understand completely.
☃  You really don’t have anything to apologize for ….
☃  I don’t worry about it if I were you.
☃  Oh, that’s all right. It can happen to anyone.
☃  It’s not your fault.
☃  Forget it!

29.            Expressing Like and Dislike
Expressing Like
Expressing Dislike
♛  I like ….
♛  I love ….
♛  I enjoy ….
♛  I really enjoy ….
♛  I’m very fond of ….
♛  I don’t like ….
♛  I hate ….
♛  I really hate ….
♛  I can’t bear ….
♛  I can’t stand ….

30.            Expressing Possibility and Impossibility

Expressing Possibility
Expressing Impossibility
G  It is possible that the headmaster will teach this class
G  They might go to London this holiday.
G  It’s not possible that she will come.
G  It’s impossible that they finish the job proberly.
G  It’s unlikely that the condition is getting better.

31.            Expressing Sympathy and Hope

Expressing Sympathy
Expressing Hope
¹  I’m sorry to hear that.
¹  That’s too bad.
¹  That’s awful.
¹  I hope that ….
¹  I hope we will ….
¹  I hope you will ….



2 comments: